Someone Else's Mother

You're someone else's mother

Someone else's mom

Someone else is crying today

Cause they lost their first and precious love 


My mother hasn't died yet

So I really have no clue 

Of the pain that they are feeling

Of what they have to do


They have to bury you, their mother

The woman who gave them life

The woman who wiped all their tears

Who tucked them in at night


I look at your picture and who you are

Is a precious family treasure

I adored you and loved you

And I will remember you with pleasure 


But as I cry for you

It is hard for me, not to think of my own Mom

She still breathes and lives and loves me

And one day, I'll be the one


One day the tears they cry

Will be my very own

So how do I reach out today for them

To embrace what I don't want to know


The pain of losing my dad

Will not be the same as losing my mom

When he died, I still had her

When she goes, I'll then have none


You're someone else's mother

Someone else's Mom

I will cry for you today, 

And embrace her hard when I am done


© Ruby Neumann



Poet's note: Written July 17, 2020


A few years ago, I wrote a poem called Someone Else's Father.  This morning, I revised that poem to pour out my current feelings.  Last night, my great aunt Verna passed away.  I wondered if I had a poem to write for her, but all that came to my thoughts was this. 


What grieves me about the timing is that I will not be able to embrace my Aunt Verna's family in their pain.  As is with most memorials during Covid times, we can't gather and embrace each other in our sadness and grief.  This was always important in my big extended family.  I think of my Uncle Don who just lost his little sister.  I want to give him a hug... but I can't.  


I found a photo of my Aunt Verna and my Mom.  How perfect a picture for this post of the two women on my heart and mind today.