Someone Else's Father

You're someone else's father
Someone else's dad
Someone else is crying today
Cause they lost the love they had

I’ve lost my own father already
So I understand some 
Of the pain that they are feeling
Of the loss that makes them numb

My pain left years ago
But the sadness still remains
At the loss of the man I’ve known all my life
Whose memory still stains

I look at your picture and who you are
Is not my dad or my pain
But at your loss and dying
I am reminded all over again

I loved you but right now
All you are is a reminder of him
And I look in her eyes and can see again
What a daughter feels within

How do I tell your baby girl
That her tears are there to stay
That every grave she sees from now on
Will only bring her back to this day

You're someone else's father
Someone else's dad
I would cry for you and your loss that I feel
But because of him, I can't 

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note: 
I wrote this in April of 2014, just a month after I attended a funeral for a long time family friend.  I have attended funerals since that prove the story, over and over again.  As I post this, it has been ten years since my dad passed away from cancer.