The Inevitable Reunion

Awkward is the moment
When I run back into you 
After weeks and months of silence
Not sure of what to do

How do I greet my best friend
When the right words just aren't there
In those precious awkward seconds
When all I can do is stare

The distance was a choice
Made both by You and Me
Yours to walk away
Mine to let you be

Somewhat frozen in the moment
Not understanding why
You didn't want to see my face
When you chose to say goodbye

Now we stand here face to face
And your face reveals its pain
And I am faced with every word 
That brought us to this day

If forgiveness was an option
Would we have let this go so long
Would there not have been a phone call
To rectify the wrong

If our courage is stronger than our fear
The silence cannot win
Can Love lead us to a place 
To be best friends again

© Ruby Neumann

Poet's Note:
Written in November of 2014, this story speaks to more than just my heart.  So many people have chasms come in between themselves and their loved ones.  "How?" is still a question I am asking.  How do I heal? How do I reach out? How do I find my friend again?  and How do we reconcile?