Hard Love

The news came hard from my laptop screen
Two rocks collided with my soul in between

I could have cried and I could have screamed
But I was speechless staring at a broken dream

Two lovebirds I have loved for years
Shared hopes and cares and laughs and tears

Years of love they shared now lost
What came in between at such a cost

What had the right to drive them apart
When nothing could at the very start

In a world where couples leave more than stay 
I want answers to questions that won’t go away

I trusted them both to drive to the end
But did either see then the fork ‘round the bend. 

I have to trust Jesus will keep on with them both
Down their separate highways for that is His oath

Now a wife I have promised til death I will be
And my husband is now who must matter to me 

I will my lay my disappointment at Jesus’ feet 
And love hard so the same doesn’t happen to me. 

© Ruby Neumann


Poet's Note: 
I wish this poem, written April 2015, only reminded me of the two people I had written it about.  But the years are bringing more than one couple to mind.  It is still very awkward for me when I hear of a separation or divorce, especially with my friends.   Some of these couples have been married longer than me and had more invested in their marriage that I do in mine... children for example.  I would be lying if I didn't say their failure didn't cast doubts for me.  "Their marriage didn't work, so what hope is there for me?"  But I come back to the life my husband and I have chosen for each other and we have are learning to "Love Hard" and that is the best hope and trust that we have.