On the Side

once I was 


on the inside


spending my time 

    with companions of 


arrogance

indifference

certainty

fear 

shame


and then I was 


on the outside


alone with 


more fear

more shame


feeling abandoned


inside

outside


These are not places 

    I want to dwell anymore


Where can I be 

    where fear and shame 

        are not my constant 

            companions


On the side


Just the side


Not in or out


Oh, to be on the side 

    of the people I love

Oh, to be on the side 

    of the people I have yet to love


To be on the side 


Observing

Listening

Learning

Embracing

Inviting

Sharing

Discovering

Laughing


Loving


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note:  Written April 15.  


I am trying to encapsulate a mix of where I am, where I want to be and where being thrives, makes sense, and is the most beneficial for my well being and the well being of those around me.  What does it look like to ditch the borders, the clubs, the restrictions and just be?  What would it feel like to embrace those around me without wondering how they will contaminate me?  How do I mark each step toward this "place of being"... in a world so opposed to it?