Today I bring you flowers

Today I bring you flowers

What might seem for Mother's Day

But more so, I bring you flowers 

To send my love your way


I've always brought you flowers

From my garden or Mother Earth

It seems that flowers best describe

The woman who gave me birth


A flower's beauty is unique

Each blossom from another

Together they make the garden

Made up of every mother


Born from the earth

Emerge to the sun

This is the treasured journey

Of a mother, most treasured one


A mother longs to have 

Each child walk behind

But she loves harder the one

Whose own path must find


So today, I want to thank you

For the hard love you chose to give

For it stretches across a great divide

And now in my heart can live


I may never be more like you

Than a simple home grown bloom

But in this flower, I see you

And in your heart where you've made room


You remember the autumn 

When I buried all you gave

But in spring something emerges

From that dark and painful grave


The love we share never died

It is the breath that brings the new 

Mother, today I bring you flowers

To say "I'm okay because of you" 


© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note: 

Written May 10, 2023

May 10, 1987 was Mother's Day, and it was the day of my graduation from high school. That day, after I came off the stage, I brought a single rose to my mother.  I have been bringing my mother flowers since I was a small child.  I saw beauty in nature and I saw beauty in her… the two always went together.  

Maybe only my mother knows how much pain my path in life has caused her.  Her love stood against every storm I sent her way.  Today, I am not the dream she once had, but I am the daughter she will always have and will always love.  For that I am grateful, and as the last line in the poem goes… I am okay because of her. 



Poet's Note Continued... May 14, 2023:  These are the flowers I brought my Mom today.  I hand delivered them to her church with a copy of the poem.  Five tulips, a sprig from my emerging lilac bush, some blooms from my saskatoon patch and some pussy willows.