IKIMPA UMWUKA



God: I need to be worshipped 

Creator: I want to create


God: I need to be noticed

Creator: I want to display my handiwork 


God: I need to be obeyed 

Creator: I want to facilitate change


God: Build me a house

Creator: Plant a garden


God: Read my book

Creator: I’ve woven my message into nature 


God: Pray to me

Creator: Just breathe


God: Love me 

Creator: Love can’t be commanded


God: Love me

Creator: Love isn’t needy


God: Love me

Creator: Love you


© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note: In the tongue of Kinyarwanda (official language of Rwanda), IKIMPA UMWUKA translates as "It gives me breath".  After writing this little dialogue between "God" and "Creator"... I found myself accepting that every definition of atheism is a disbelief in "God".  But I don't see it defined as a non acceptance of Creator.  So maybe  I am atheist (a verb, not a noun).  I am atheist towards this "God"... but wholly embracing "Creator"... that which I call IKIMPA UMWUKA.  Umwuka means breath, but also means spirit.  The connection is significant.  

For me, it's about language... words have meaning.  I write to attempt to convey how I understand the world I live in.