Paintbrush


I walk in the crevice of Paintbrush

Giving space for my soul to remember

Giving ears to the beautiful flowers I see


Listen to my joy

Listen to my memories


You taunt me with your beauty

Your mystery

Your illusiveness

Your wonder 

And your tolerance for where you live


You are not all the same

There is beauty in every different expression you have, you hold


Let me take a piece of you home

So that I might remember 

And let me come back again to enjoy you


Thank you


Paintbrush


© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note:  Created orally on June 27, 2022, while returning from a camping expedition with my hubby. 


How can I say I wrote this poem.  I didn't write it, I created it as I walked alongside a highway ditch flowing with the beautiful red, orange and yellow collection. 


My childhood on the farm in northern British Columbia is riddle with these wild, bush blooms.  I am captivated by them.  They are part of my story. I long for the coming of the end of June when I might go on a short journey west to find them again.  


This year I have been attempting to create poetry orally. Instead of having a pen and paper or a computer with me... I just recite into my Iphone camera and take what comes out.  Nature really inspires this in me.  This poem is not edited… I wrote down what came out as I walked in the ditch.  


Watch the Youtube video "Paintbrush" … It gives life to the words.  The words alone are not enough this time.