If only I had a voice


TO THOSE IN POWER


I am a consequence of sex

Maybe planned, maybe not

What do I have to give the world

Maybe something, maybe not


You see a future taxpayer

I see a life of debt


You see a future soldier

I see a killer of life


You see doctrine and dogma

I see religion's chains


You see more children in the playground

I see more children in the ghetto


You see purpose

I see pain


Maybe I am more than a consequence of sex

But what if I'm not

How dare you place such a burden on my mother

Don't you love her 

I guess not

To you, she is just a machine to make more taxpayers

To you, she is just a manufacturer of soldiers


I love my mother

I will love my mother

I would give my life for my mother

If that is what I need to do


In twenty years

You will sign me up to fight in your war

I will be asked to give my life for my country


Today, can I give my life for someone I love more

Why won't you let me fight now

Why won't you let me win now

Why must I breathe if only for your bloody agenda


I want my life to matter

Even if it is only for this brief moment in time


My life does matter

But not in this way


SINCERELY


YOUR UNBORN TAXPAYER AND SOLDIER


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note:    


Today the American Supreme Court overturned abortion rights.  Google it… it's all over the news.  


I wept today and wanted to find a river that would accept my tears.  So I wrote this letter, this poem.  


Who am I to have a voice for the unborn?  I am Canadian.  I live in a country that legalized abortion and has stood by that decision.  


Who am I?  I am a woman who cries today.  I am a poet who can only create a picture.  I can't turn any heads.  I can't change American policy.  I can only weep and write.  I hope it is enough.