River


River


You remind me of me


When I was your age

Three maybe Four


River


Says


"Why are you cutting the pretty yellow flowers"


"They are weeds" says your Mom


"No" says I, "They are pretty yellow flowers"


When I was your age

Four maybe Five


I would cry to my mother


"Why are you cutting the pretty yellow flowers" 


River


Don't cry for the dandelions

They are a stubborn beauty

They will live on and be beautiful again


River


Thank you for sharing

Your refreshing water of joy 

With me today

© Ruby Neumann





Poet's Note:  Written June 8, 2022


It's Wednesday and I just started mowing my lawn and a family walked by the alley by my house.  A mother, a daughter, a son and a daughter River came walking by.  

River, the youngest daughter,  saw me and struck up a conversation.   She wanted to know why I was mowing over the dandelions.  What a memory came back to me when I was her age asking my mother the same thing. 


I showed River and her family my five year old blue spruce trees that I call my Benjamin trees.  I planted those trees five years ago in memory of my nephew, Benjamin.  I invited the children to touch the new growth.  Those trees will grow old with River. 


She left behind some flowers she had picked.  A lilac, some stinkweed and some canola.  She laid them on the trees, much like an offering.   


I told her my name was Ruby and that her name River was beautiful and the rivers are my favourite.   What a gift today.  I had to stop mowing and come in and write something for her.