Letter to a Homeless Man

Are you still a Jewish Carpenter

A homeless teacher from Galilee

Son of Mary, Brother of James

Friend to Martha's family


Are you still companion to fishermen

Do you still like sleeping in boats

Have you ridden a donkey lately

Covered by your follower's coats


Do you still face down the Pharisees

With your one-liners and your eyes

Do your arms still open up in joy

To the young ones of all size


If you only walked the beaches 

To give Peter's boat a push

Then why does my mother see you

In her lilac bush


Why do my friends talk about you

Like you are alive and in the room

Do they see you like the women did

In front of that empty tomb 


Were you only a man in Matthew's story

And just a vision in Mary's mind

If so, what do my people really see

In this place and in this time


Your narrative has woven it's thread

Into their story and into their lives

For them you're not a vision

And you're not just in their minds


They say you live inside them

But that you are also coming soon

And now that has me skeptical 

And utterly confused


Can I hope to understand 

Who you were and who you are

When those two things are very  different 

I have no place from which to start

© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note:  (Written June 7, 2022) 


I have heard say that it is good therapy to write letters to people you have lost.  I "buried" Jesus this year, but that doesn't mean that the memory of that story is gone.  The questions are still there and some of the pain is still residual.  So maybe I might find some of those questions and some of that pain arise in my poetry.  Poetry has always been a good therapist for me.