I am a truck


I am a truck


I was created in a factory in Michigan


I have been in existence for over a decade 


In all that time no one required me to change the colour of my paint 


No one said I was to big or too little


No one told me I should have had leather seats instead of cloth


No one replaced my engine because it wasn’t powerful enough


No one asked of me anything more that what I was built to perform 


I have fulfilled my purpose by carrying a person from one place to another



I am a truck 


I am not a human body 


Humans are not content with the paint they received at the factory 


Humans are not happy with their size


Humans are not satisfied with their interiors or their engines


It seems that humans are in a constant process of changing their body 


Maybe they forgot the purpose of the body was to carry their person from one place to another


I am a truck


I could care less what other trucks look like


Their paint, body size, seats, and engine don’t change my purpose


I am created to carry a person from one place to another 


Nothing more 


Nothing less 


I am a truck 


© Ruby Neumann





Poet's Note: Written May 7, 2022,  1:17 am... when my body should have been sleeping.  My head was spinning this early morning trying to wrap my thoughts around my own paint job and the paint job of others.  I tried to process my need for an engine change when the engine I have works fine. I tried to understand why leather seats were more desirable than cloth seats. Why is my interior not enough?  What is my purpose?  What is this body's purpose?  Is it not simply to carry me from one place to another?


This analogy may only apply to one 2011 Ford Escape that is parked in my yard at this very moment, awaiting the next opportunity to carry me from "one place to another".  Other trucks don't have what my truck has… only purpose.  Other trucks have been modified to please their human.  Other trucks understand what humans are like.  But my truck sees all that as nonsense.  My truck can't understand why paint colour matters, why tire size matters, why engine performance matters.  My truck is more enlightened that I am.  My truck understands life more than I do.  My truck could teach the world a great lesson.