The River of the Unknown


"I don't know" doesn't mean that I can't imagine


"I don't know" doesn't mean that I don't have any idea of what might be


"I don't know" doesn't mean that I can't interpret life with understanding


"I don't know" doesn't mean I am clueless 


"I don't know" means I gave up certainty 


"I don't know" means that my love for others is more important than me being right


"I don't know" means I am small, not weak


"I don't know" means there are more important things to do with my time


"I don't know" doesn't mean I can't believe


"I don't know" doesn't mean that I can't trust 


"I don't know" doesn't mean that I can't hope


"I don't know" doesn't mean that I can't wonder


"I don't know" means I am human


"I don't know" means I am limited


"I don't know" means questions are more important than answers


"I don't know"… means "I don't know" 


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note: Written April 7, 2022

I am not  a big fan of labels, because most of them don't define me well.  I don't think I can be narrowed down well to label.  Especially a label that needs to encompass a lot more people than just me.  But there is one label, I don't really mind, because of what it means.  Agnostic simply means "I don't know".  But even that needs expounding on, so this is what I mean by these three little words that, for me, explain so much. 

I used to think everyone was Agnostic, just a mix of aware Agnostics and unaware Agnostics.  But I have since learned that certainty is a feeling not a state of existence.  So if some one feels 100% certain, how can I call them Agnostic.  Maybe in reality they don't know, but if they feel certain they know, how can I take that away from them.  So I will let others swim in their ocean of certainty if that is what they want to do, but I will drown in those waters, so I will swim elsewhere.  I will swim in the river of the unknown and in those waters, I will be free.