Love Never Breathed

When Love is all I have left

Will I be okay

When I bury the rest

In a grave today


I can’t kill Love

It doesn’t die

It never breathed 

Like him and I


Love gave the breath 

That gives me the chance

To walk, to sing

To write, to dance


So today I place 

In a dirty hole

That which died 

A long time ago


And Love remains 

Eternally

It doesn’t die

Because it never breathed


© Ruby Neumann






Poet's Note: Written today... April 15, 2022... Good Friday.  Today marks the end of the "Atheism for Lent" course.  Today will be the end of something very significant in my life.  As I ceremoniously bury it beneath the budding lilac bushes, may I find something blooming soon amid in the fresh lavender coloured blossoms.  May I find Love still remaining.  


Already I found Love showing up this morning  in a beautiful white blanket of snow.  It was calm, peaceful and I will be okay.