The Painter of the Stars

Do I

Need I

Must I

Matter

To the Painter of the Stars


It was an early windy morning

The Dark yet holding back the Light

I wonder as my eyes wander

Over the Beauty of the Night


Do I matter to the Painter of the Stars

Or am I just another breath

Do I have something more than hope

In this life before my death


Need I matter to the Painter of the Stars

Or can I breathe alone

Is who I was, who I am okay to be

Just skin and blood and bone


Must I matter to the Painter of the Stars

Must I know this for real

Does my ignorance have a place 

When the story is so surreal


It is an early windy evening

The Light yet holding back the Dark

My imagination wanders

As I wait for the night to embark


Confused, I stare at the clouds in the dusk

And nothing in me knows

All around me are ones that also breathe

So everything in me hopes


That I 

Do I

Need I

Must I 

Matter

To the Painter of the Stars


© Ruby Neumann






Poet's Note:  Written January 20, 2021


When I am sitting in my hot tub looking up at those minuscule dots in the darkness, I can only imagine them as splashes of white and cream paint on a black canvas.  I don't know how big they are, I don't know how far away they are.  That would require that I believe in something and someone and I am not ready to commit to any conclusions in that department right now.  So I will credit the artwork to  "The Painter of the Stars".  I have no face on that "Painter", I don't really need one.  But I am narrowing down my selection of names for the creator of the cosmos, and I like this one very much.  "The Painter"  says so much about the character of the one who is responsible for the artistry of life: for nature, for me and my husband and for my cats.