Corona Church

There’s a local small town pastor

On a most exhausting search

For the answer to his question 

“When do I reopen my church?”


When he joined this congregation 

He never dreamed he see the day

He would have to close the front door

To keep his parishioners safe


A nasty little virus

Made pandemic worldwide news

And as a result of government actions

He had to empty out the pews


Two months have passed and rumour has it

That he may be allowed to open the door

But the powers-at-be have rules he must follow

Which makes his decision a chore


With a family of a hundred and twenty

Only fifty are allowed inside

But seniors and young families need to stay at home 

So there are only ten that qualify


That solves the social distancing

One person per two rows

But they are responsible to disinfect the pews

Before they head for home


There will be no need for a worship team

Because singing isn’t allowed 

But maybe they can watch a video or two

Of the Gaither Homecoming crowd


Instead of wine and bread

They would have water and Fisherman’s Friends

“No coughing of any kind allowed!”

The means justify the ends


All of these crazy rules aside

The pastor’s main concern 

“What am I going to teach them?

What will they want to learn?


They will be so stressed out with all the rules they must keep

They’ll be distracted and downcast

Missing hugs from their friends and families 

And longing for the past”


As the pastor weighs the pros and the cons

He whispers a little prayer

“Jesus, where are you in all of this

And do you even care?


How do I open the building

And leave the sick outside? 

When it’s clear that it was for the sick you came

And with them you still abide


I guess the question I really want to ask 

Is how can I be more like you?

Where would you be right now

By their bed, or in my pew?”


Now there’s a local small town pastor

On a less exhausting search

To discover the truth and allow himself 

To redefine the Church


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note:  Written Sunday, May 24, 2020


This morning, I am trying to verbalize my frustrations.  I haven't been a committed attendee of a building called church for over twelve years.  But I find myself frustrated at the circus involved for people to get back to those very buildings that I left so many years ago.  I realize the building is important to some very important people in my life… so I need to let my issues rest and chose to understand and empathize for the people who still find value in a building that they have been banned from.  


This "local small town pastor" is a character in a poem, but the question that is asked… "Jesus, where are you in all of this and do you care?"  is MY question.  "Jesus, do you care about the building?  What is your Church supposed to look like in this time?  How do so many move forward, instead of wishing they could go back in time when rules and policies and safety measures were more adhering to their social and religious needs?"


It is a question that, for me, still goes unanswered.  


(Please see attached Youtube Video log where  Ruby recites Corona Church