HOPE SCREAMS


Hope screams 

“Don’t let go of me!
There is something you can’t see right now
because your eyes are focused on your mess
and your soul is drowning in your pain”

As loud as my circumstances are 
and as much as they try
to drown out any sound of rescue

Hope still screams louder

“Don’t let go of me!” 

(And as I write this poem, the song is sung
‘Jesus Christ, my living hope’

No coincidence there) 

© Ruby Neumann


Poet's note:

Written February 23, 2019.  My Mom and I were  sitting in the auditorium at MissionsFest in Edmonton.  I was trying to find some words to write in a card for a person who was going through a hard time.  And these are the words what came to me.  Then the song "Jesus,my Living Hope" was sung and I looked up and saw the words on the screen.  It was like I was seeing a confirmation of God's identity.  God is Hope.  Like God is Love, God is Hope.  

The speakers of the evening were Kevin and Julia Garrett.  Their story was about hope in the midst of hopelessness.  They were abducted and imprisoned in China for 775 days.  They had lived in China for thirty years teaching ESL and operating a coffee shop.  They were accused of being spies and it was later revealed that they were "pawns in a political play between China, Canada and the U.S."  Again this theme of "God is Hope" came through the sharing of their story.  

I am not sure yet how this relates to me in my life at this time.  I wrote this for someone else, but maybe Hope is screaming at me too.