God By My Final Bed


How do I heal
Now that he is gone
How do I keep walking 
How do I journey on

What is the next step 
On this rocky road 
And how long do I carry
This burdensome load

He was supposed to walk with me
Until I was dead 
It was he I wanted sitting 
Beside my final bed

So many miss him
And so many are grieving 
Do they know at all what I miss
What I lost at his leaving

God forgive my selfish 
And childish soul
Remind me it’s You
Who won’t leave me alone

Give me a reason 
A hope to go on
And be at my final bed
When I greet the Dawn

© Ruby Neumann


Poet's Note: 

I wrote this poem Sunday morning March 3, 2019.  

What happens when all our hopes are put on one person to be there for us at the end of our days?  What happens when those hopes are dashed?  Will hope be found if we can picture God in that place instead?