Yesterday's Road

Had I the chance
To know you back then
Had we walked the same road
Would we have been friends

Knowing now
What I know about you
Could I have helped
Make your dreams come true

Could I have taken you
On a road with less pain
Would my friendship and love
Have kept back the rain

I love you now
As your life long mate
But had I been there sooner
What could have changed

God only knows
Why we had to wait
Why we both had to walk
Down roads that we hate

There are lost miles behind us
But don’t worry my friend
We’ll walk this road
Side by side to the end

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's note:
This poem was inspired by the "what if" that wandered through my mind the first year my husband and I were married.  Written in 2009, I wondered what life would have been like if we had met and married much earlier than 40 something.