Daddy's Girl


“Mommy’s in Heaven” is what the girls say
They giggle and smile, then run off and play

There’s nothing else for them to do
But remember... and then forget about you

It’s not that easy in Daddy’s world
I can’t forget that I miss you, Girl

You’re the love of my life, but you’re not with me
And time won’t change that reality

Did I get my chance to say good-bye
If that’s the case, must I still cry

I have so many things I need to do
Our daughters need me to be strong and true

Will they trust me to be there now that you are gone
Can I guard their hearts from a world gone wrong

I guess I’m not alone, but it sure feels that way
We were supposed to be together till we’re old and grey

I stare into space like the dark of the moon
“Till death do us part” came way too soon

“Mommy’s in Heaven”, come the comforting words
“Don’t cry now, Daddy”, as I’m hugged by my girls

So I send back a smile for what else can I do
They’ll always be my reminder of you

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's note: 
This poem came to me in 2008 after hearing the journey of a former grade school classmate.  His wife passed away leaving him a single dad of two beautiful young girls.