The Shadow of the Mountain


I’ve been on the mountain
To the top of the world
I’ve see the Glory of God unfurled
But down in the valley is the one that I love
So I’ll leave the heights and its glory above

Hand in hand, I’ll walk with you
In the valley with its grassy hew
I’ll show you the mountain
And even ask you to climb
Up to the heights
With your hand in mine

You may not be ready to climb just yet
But I’ll still walk with you each precious step
For the valley holds a beauty all its own
We’ll pick of the roses that God has sown

It’s still my dream to be back on the heights
And some days, I’ll still sneak away
Just to be with the Lord on the mountain top
That, to you, seems so far away

But my love for you will bring me back
To the valley at close of day
With your hand in mine, we’ll walk again
And God will lead the way

In the shadow of the mountain
I’ll walk today
Yes, this is what I’ll do
I’ll leave tomorrow
Where it belongs

Today, I’m here with you

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's note:
This poem was written November 3, 2008, but as I read it again almost ten years later, I am reminded of grief's journey.  There is a mountain and there is a valley.  Some dwell in the valley, some ascend to the mountain top.  As much as I thrive when I have ascended the mountain, Love compels me to climb down and dwell... as responding to Love is the most rewarding part of the journey.