Because I Was Loved By You

You walked... No, you ran into my life
That day, those years ago
You smiled your way into my heart
And I have never let you go

You took my hand and walked with me
We met life, step by step
You, with your dreams
And I, with mine
These moments I have kept

The days, the months and years pass by
This road has many bends
But with faith we walk around every one
Holding tight until it ends

Now here we are, at the journey’s end
And I know I must let you go
But only into the arms of Jesus
For He will take you home

My hands are now open
My soul it aches
My mind filled with thoughts of you
But my heart is full and my joy complete
Because I was loved by you

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note
January 2017 started a flood of poetry that was birthed out of the greatest pain of my life or one of two of the greatest pains of my life.  I guess it is all how you look at it.  I can't compare the loss of my father to the loss of my nephew.  Both were devastating for me. 

My family and I eventually picked ourselves up after Dad died.  We moved on and learned to walk a different road without him. As I write this, my nephew has been gone for a year and a half.   I have hope that one day, we will all learn to walk again, but for now, we lay on the ground trying to crawl to our next day.  Some days we crawl faster than others.  

This poem was written two days after the tragic accident that took my nephew's life.  It was the poem that my sister chose to put on the funeral bulletin.