White Wave

She stands firm on the ocean's edge

With her feet buried in the sand

She watches the waves pour in

Kissing the land


Enamoured by the mystery

The movement on the shore

Wonder is painted on her heart

As she longs for more


Her mother named her "White Wave"

Not knowing one day she would find

A love and passion for the waters

That would bless her soul and her mind


The warmth of the sun

Caresses her skin

As she breathes

She feels Spirit within


Her hope lies not in

What she feels or sees

She looks beyond to 

Something more real


She walks to the water

The waves wash her feet

Her journey here with us

Is now complete


         * * * 


"White Wave" 

Go and be free

We will miss you

We will grieve


But your love remains here with us

To grow and bloom

In our hearts, for you

There will always be room. 


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note: 


Written  July 21, 2023 

  

The name Jennifer comes from Welsh name "Gwenhwyfar" which means means "White Wave"  


It seems fitting for a woman who loves warm places, ocean beaches and the water found there.  


This is the poem I wrote for my sister.  She breathes no longer.  So many stories circulate as to what or where she is now.  But as the song says... I will find her footprints in the sand, I will find her voice in the white waves that lap on the shores of whatever lake or ocean I find myself at.  As I post this... it is August 4, Hawaii time... (technically the fifth, but whose keeping track).  August 4 is her son's birthday.  It's been six and a half years since our tears and my sad poems  started because of him.  This poem was written three days after her motorcycle accident.  The day my big sister died.