Why's and Worms

There’s a book that hasn’t been written

There are children I didn’t have

There is life that hasn't been lived

And I’m responsible for that


There are places of magnificent beauty

That my eyes will never see

There are dreams yet unrealized 

And that is all on me


But the rain it comes and the rain it goes

And I breathe another day 

I ask myself why it matters

And is there a better way


Why are there so many children

And why do lovers make more

Why does the Earth keep spinning

As if there’s a reason to keep spinning for


Today as I create this poem 

I’m walking in the rain

Collecting worms for my compost

And to keep from going insane


Why does each worm matter to me 

When so often I feel that I don’t

There may be answers to my questions

But to look for them I won’t


So I’ll keep walking and keep looking

For each worm that comes my way

And hope that they help me compost my thoughts

And not just my organic waste


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note: 

Written June 15, 2023

One of my favourite activities in the spring and summer is "worming".  When we have a significant amount of rain, the earthworms leave the earth and find their way onto paths of the concrete jungle I live in.  I go with a pail, water and a fork and collect as many worms as I can find and give them a home in my compost.  I figure it is a win-win situation for both of us.  I get my compost worked down and they get fed for the rest of the summer instead of dying a horrid death on the street.  Some days, like today, the water soaked streets find me with my worming pail for therapeutic reasons.  

When I am done my walk, I look in the pail and see how the worms have twisted themselves together, much like my thoughts and questions do in my mind.  Big ones, little ones... all messed up together.  Maybe there is no separating them, maybe all I can do is dump them in the compost of life and let them do their work.