Encephalon


Trapped

Caged

For a lifetime

Nothing to feed me but electronic impulses 


I can't see without eyes

I can't hear without ears

I can't smell without a nose

I can't taste without a mouth

I can't feel without skin

I can't breathe without lungs

I can't dance without legs

I can't hug without arms


I can't even love without all of them in communion together 


And yet

I control them all


Without me, they couldn't sense

Without me, they couldn't function

Without me, they couldn't connect

Without me, they couldn't learn

Without me, they couldn't love

Without me, they couldn't live


So what am I 


Three pounds of fat, water, protein, carbohydrates and salts


A store house of billions of neurons 

And somehow they all find a way to communicate 

With the cage that holds me captive


But what I really want to know is

Am I her

When she looks in the mirror

Does she see me

She has never seen me

But she's been told I am here

But does she see me

Am I her


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's Note: written February 26, 2023


Encephalon may be just a fancy word for the brain, but it is a name.  And everyone wants a name, an identity they can call their own.  It's a way of mattering, being recognized.  I will never see that which is life to me.  I will never hold that which gives me purpose and ability.  I will never totally understand everything about Encephalon, but maybe this poem is my gratitude.  Maybe this poem is my way of saying… "I see you!"