The Languages of Love

Love showed up today of all days

Love showed up for me in five different ways


You sent me a message with a smiling emoji

Today of all days, you were thinking of me


You also sent me a gift, a little something to say

I was on your mind when you went shopping today


I'm not feeling so good, and the snow still falls

So you came by my house and shovelled my walk


Before you left, you came by for a hug

Your embrace reminded me of your unwavering Love


Then I invited you in and we chatted a while

Your visit left my face and my heart with a smile


Your TEXT,  TRINKET, TASK, TOUCH and TIME

Spoke Love  to me in your language and mine


Love won't always look or sound the same

But in a mix of expressions, it showed up today


So thank you for loving me in five different ways

And thank you for loving me today of all days

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note: Written 6:00 am on Valentine's Day.  Yesterday I was in a Zoom call with some family and friends.  We talked about Love and Love languages and expressions and words of love.  Love looks so very different to so many different people.  Maybe that is why we have five different languages and countless ways of expressing love.  It honours the differences in each other.  


I am still a novice at Love.  I have so much to learn and so much to do and so many people to love.  Love is what holds this universe together.  I hope we can embrace that more than just today.  But let's remember it today and go ahead on this remarkable journey we call Love.