Tears on the Grave of Certainty


I have lost things

I have lost people

But you

You are neither

And yet when I think of 

The worst loss

The most painful loss

The most life changing loss

I think of you


I didn't get a sympathy card when you died

I didn't get a hug

I didn't get understanding

I just got lonely


You are dead to me

But alive to so many

You are their strength

A loss they may never mourn


So what do I do

Where do I go

Who do I trust

When do I believe

Why does this still hurt


Here's the irony

If I could resurrect you

Bring you back to life

I would walk past your grave

Leave my tears

And let you lie


© Ruby Neumann


Poet's Note: Written February 4, 2022.  I think some of my favourite and most honest expressions of poetic verse come to me when I am in the hot tub.  When I made the tombstone picture, I couldn't put a date on it.  This loss has been slow and over a span of time I can't nail down in my own mind, much less put on a tombstone.   This morning,  I was thinking about losses in my life that have gone unnoticed.  This poem is for them too.  The hugs and cards are absent, yet the pain is very present.