The Label of "NON"

I don’t need your labels

I have my own

But you seem to like to label me

Thus the reason for this poem 


And what is worse than a label 

Defining who you think I am

Is that ugly label of “NON”

Because I don’t belong to your clan


Because I don’t subscribe to your club

You give me the label of “NON”

It may be easier for you and your group 

But for me, it’s very wrong 


To give me this label for who I’m not

Keeps you from knowing who I might be

I am so much more than just that one

That doesn’t follow your belief


The label “Non” dismisses me

Is that what you wanted to do

Are you the standard for my identity

Are you the holder of what is true


Are you really that confident 

That you hold all that's wrong or right

That you and your tribe are clean

That you divide the day and night


Maybe for a moment

You can imagine that we are one

One heart, one soul, one humanity

And the need for labelling is done


Close your eyes and ears for that moment

And reach out to me with your love

Embrace me with your courage

And that just might be enough


Maybe you'll find us not so strange

Maybe you'll get to know

The me beyond your labels

Now that's good seed to sow


It doesn't stop at your heart

It takes courage to right a wrong

To encourage others to love beyond

That label known as "NON" 


Love is that courage, that embrace

Love is the only way

Love has the power to make us one

And we must start today


Ask your neighbour who they are

And stop the labels of who they're not

Let's be the ones to make the change

Because the ignorance has to stop


Let's be the chorus in this world

To sing a different song

To honour our sisters and brothers

And get rid of the label of "NON" 



© Ruby Neumann






Poets Note: Written February 16, 2021


I am tired of hearing people defined by this label.  I used to do it, but it was very ignorant of me.  To think I was the standard of another person's identity, was grossly irreverent of me.  This poem is not a slam on clubs, clans or tribes.  Those have purpose for most people.  But having a club, clan or tribe, doesn't require that we look with disdain, even ignorant disdain on someone else that does not belong to our club, clan or tribe.  I've been told we all have the same blood that runs through our veins.  Maybe it's time that we all embrace the same Love for each other. 


This poem is going out to anyone who uses the label of "NON", and to anyone who has felt the sting of being categorized as a "NON".  


(Definition of Ignorant:  lacking knowledge or awareness)