One More Funeral

If you die this year

I won't know how to grieve

So many mixed up thoughts I have

And so much yet to fear


Already we are separated

Like a death unto its own

Locked away, you are still removed

From my love and from my home 


The letters, cards and flowers

Aren't enough to ease my pain

Though the sun still shines today

Tomorrow it might rain


No one knows 

When freedom will come

When the masses can gather 

When we again can be one


But if you die this year

How can I process that

Yours will be one more funeral

That I'll be barred from being at


© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note:  written Feb 5, 2021


2020 came and went, and two funerals in my family occurred that I would gladly have driven six hours with my mother to be at.  This hell is not over yet.  More people will die and more loved ones will be refused entry to the one place they need to be to mourn, to comfort family, to say goodbye.  


I have a lot of faces in my mind and loved ones in my heart that I don't want to lose during this time.  I want to see them again, and when they die,  I want to be with their family when they are remembered.  I guess what really is at the soul of this… I will feel like I don't matter enough to those people.  I am too far down the line to belong to the sacred few that will be given admittance to the memorial service.  That is what I fear.  That the day will come and I will be left alone at home away from my family feeling like I don't matter.  And when I look at those relationships that I have had with those special people, I know that is so far from the truth.