One Agnostic Wonders

In a world where certainty and knowledge are praised 

I find myself alone

Wondering if I am loved at all

When really I don't know


Is my value and worth dependent on 

What my brain and conscience KNOW

Must I agree with people to be loved by them

I hope the answer's a resounding "NO!"


I would hope that it's okay with some

That I can't wrap my head around

The meaning and origin of the universe

Which has become a battle ground


I would like to be honest if that's okay

I don't want a debate or a fight

I struggle at most, and hope at best

But I'm up against "Wrong or Right" 


I don't need to be evangelized

I just want to know if they'll try

To understand me before they judge me

This is my heart felt cry


I didn't plan to be where I am today

I just found that I couldn't believe

In a lot of things that just don't make sense

This, I'm trying to get them to see


This is not an easy journey

I have already lost so much

There is pain along this pathway

When who I am is not good enough


So who among the many

Still holding tight to what they "know"

Will find a place in their heart for me

A person, a human, not just a soul


All I want in this life is to be loved and to love

That has to matter more

Love has to define my every move

It needs to be real to the core


Nothing in this world

No religion or restriction

Can replace something so pure as love

In all of it's conviction


Love can only be the essence 

That can bring us back to each other

It is something so universal

For every sister and brother


It's my hope that one day soon

I won't have to hide in shame

That who I am will be okay

And I won't have to play their game


I will be honored and valued

For who I am and who I love

And everything else will fall behind

Because Love will be enough


© Ruby Neumann




Poet's note:   Written February 12, 2021. It is two days before Valentines Day and I am perusing the theme of love and what it looks like to me.  When do I feel loved?  I guess I feel loved, when I am seen as a person on a journey.  I don't feel loved when I feel like a fish.  Most fish have one purpose… to be eaten. The rest get stuck in a bowl, tank or pond for some human's pleasure.   I don't see that as love.  I guess that is why I never had fish as pets.  I couldn't see myself able to love them.