The Rose in the Thorns

How do I get to the Rose

When the Thorns rip at my flesh

I bleed trying to find the flower


I have scars from wounds too deep

When all I knew were the Thorns

The Rose had not yet blossomed


Do I leave the Rose, still sheltered

Though beautiful it may be

To find it, to know it, Oh the pain


My hands, my heart, my soul still bleeds

But I haven't touched the thorns for decades

And every year, the Rose still blooms


Am I denying myself the fragrance, the beauty

Do I fear the flower

But… the Rose is not the Thorns


Can I afford to even long to get close again

For every time I think about the Rose

The Thorns are there


What must I do to heal

From the wounds, from the fear

For if I don't


I'll never know the Rose







© Ruby Neumann


Poets Note:  Written September 14, 2020. 


What Rose lies hidden in my life because of the overwhelming presence of the Thorns. 


Many a time I have bled in my rose patch, but I continue to pick flowers, and trim the bushes and weed the garden, not because of the thorns, but because of the beauty of the roses.  


What if I'm the one who sees and smells the beauty of the Rose, but others won't go near the bush, because all they see are the thorns.  What can I do to find the Rose and show her beauty to the ones still healing from their wounds?  


There are Roses in my life, surrounded by prickly Thorns.  What will it take for me to reach back into that bush and find the beauty that still blooms.  Oh that I would have the courage, because I don't want to imagine and live a life without the Roses