Red Leaves

Red Leaves


I remember longing 

as a child

for Red Leaves


Green Leaves

Yellow Leaves

Brown Leaves

I saw these every year

but I longed for Red Leaves


Ontario had Red Leaves

I saw pictures and longed for Red Leaves


in British Columbia

my home 

Green Leaves

Yellow Leaves

Brown Leaves

But no Red Leaves


But Now


in Alberta

my home

I have Red Leaves


and in this moment

my heart is full


© Ruby Neumann





Poet's Note:  written September 25, 2020


I was in the hot tub this morning admiring the red leaves on my Virginia Creepers that over the years have spread themselves on my deck lattice.  The colours inspired me this morning and I was brought back to a memory of a childhood longing.  Maybe it wasn't just longing for red leaves, maybe it was just longing for something I didn't have.  


So what fills my heart this morning, isn't the presence of the red leaves that have adorned my deck for over ten years.  But a longing I had as a child, didn't go ungiven.