To Hug a Miracle

I got to hug a miracle
Today in the house of praise
A miracle snatched from death’s strong hold
On his journey’s first precious days

I remember the prayers that went to God
For that fragile baby boy
His life held in the hands of God
Desperate hope, his parent’s joy

Now over six years later
The joy manifests again 
As a boy now grown and healed
He plays as if life were his own best friend

What miracles are yet in store
For my arms to yet embrace
What joys can I yet pray for
In the coming days

Lord, grant me this holy prayer today
As my arms stay open wide
That I could hug another miracle
Before this day subsides

© Ruby Neumann

(poem written  March 15, 2009, the day I was at the Calgary Dream Centre and a little boy by the name of Denim Fry came to me for a hug) 




Poet’s Note

I was cleaning up a box of “stuff”... and found a some of my  journals.  In one of these journals, I found this poem that I wrote just two weeks before my wedding in March of 2009.  Reading the poem and the note that followed about Denim brought me back to that day.  I was visiting a Sunday morning church gathering and this little 6 year old boy that I had never met before gave me a hug.  When my friend Donnell told me that the little boy was Denim Fry, son of Jeff and Angie Fry, it all came back to me.  This is the boy, that when he was just a new infant, came to the forefront of my church’s prayers and fundraising efforts.  I have attached to this post, a copy of the article from CBC News in Calgary.  

This poem was me processing the gravity of that little one’s hug.  I can’t remember what was preached that day, or what songs were sung, because I spend the duration of the service writing a poem about a little boy who gave a stranger a hug.  And now, because of moment of poetic inspiration,   I have a most precious memory of that day, of that moment and of that hug.  

Had I written this poem today, it might be very different.  Still today, I am thankful for who I was back then, for in my gratitude and faith comes the beauty of those words.  


Transplant treats Calgary 'bubble boy'

CBC News · Posted: Jul 24, 2003 10:15 PM ET |

An infant in Calgary who was born with a rare, often fatal disorder can now look forward to a long life, thanks to a new procedure pioneered in the U.S.
Children born with DiGeorge syndrome have no natural immunity to germs. They usually die before their second birthday.
The disorder is rare, affecting one or two Canadian infants each year. Denim Fry is one of them.

Like others with the syndrome, Denim was born without a working thymus, an organ that transforms blood cells into infection-fighting T-cells. He had to live in a sterile environment.
"Denim had a zero level of T-cells," said immunologist Dr. Tom Bowen of Calgary Foothills Hospital. "No detectable immune T-cells at any time prior to being corrected."
Dr. Louise Markert of Duke University in Durham, N.C., developed a new transplant, giving a life to 18 of the 25 infants who had the surgery. During heart surgery, parts of the thymus are often removed and Markert transplants them into the thighs of infants like Denim.
At eight months, Denim is the youngest and most recent patient to have the procedure, and the first Canadian. The oldest is now 10. Researchers describe the transplant in the August 1 issue of the journal Blood.
"The survival rate is approximately two-thirds," said Markert. "The children are doing beautifully."
Immunologist Bowen said the transplant offers new possibilities.
"I would not be surprised to see some other centres, very large centres both in Europe and perhaps Canada pick up the technique and say, 'Well, what else might we use this for?'"
Since Denim didn't have a pre-existing immunity, there's no risk of rejection. Doctors expect it will take him two years to develop full immunity.