Her


Her smile

Her wit

Her colourful dresses

Her love for critters

Her endurance

Her gentleness

Her grace under fire

Her love for her family

Her monumental marriage

Her appreciation of nature 

Her presence as a woman in leadership 

Her seventy years of commitment and dedication

Her love for Canada

Her service to the Commonwealth

Her devotion to the World


Her 

© Ruby Neumann





Poet's Note: 


Written September 10, 2022… in honour of "Her"... Queen Elizabeth II.  She passed away September 8 and left a mark on my life.  I wrote of the things that impress me about that woman.  I struggle with labels and hierarchy rules.  I struggle with power and position that elevates some people above others. I struggle with the pageantry that seems old, outdated and inauthentic.  I struggle with the sacrifice her family had to make because of her position.  I struggle with the wealth.  I struggle with how the religion is so tied to monarchy and the monarchy is so tied to religion. I struggle with monarchy and its purpose in this day and age.  I struggle with a lot of things that have wrapped themselves around "Her"… 


 But I can find things about "Her" that I don't struggle with.  I can find things that inspire me.  I can find things that I can honour.