Twenty Years Since...

Twenty years since the it all went down

Twenty years since…

But I can't tell the story

Because I wasn't there

And since…

So many stories have been in the air

And I don't know what or how to believe this time

I don't know… 

All I can do is cry and weep 

Because… 

What I remember is crying and weeping

Pain, sorrow, loss, anger, heartache, confusion

How much of that must have been there

Then...

Twenty years ago 

When...

It all went down


© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note: How do I pick a picture for a poem with an obvious subject but a not so obvious portrait of it.  I found this picture of the sunflowers and the roses and it spoke to me.  It spoke of the sadness that looms over today and every 9-11 since 2001.  I am far away from the places and far away from the people and far away from the stories.  But I want to sit in the sadness with everyone today who is sitting in sadness in one way or another.  I want to pause and remember that.  That matters to me.