When I’m not there


Walk with me, daughter 

Before the close of day

Walk with me, beside me

Right now, I’ll lead the way


I have guided you for a while 

On your journey this far

I've been here each step

With you, just as you are


Soon you must walk 

Without me at your side

But I trust you’ve learned well

You won’t need me to guide


Your faith, hope and courage 

Will be your strength every day

From here on in

As you go on your way


When I’m not there 

To wipe your fallen tears

Remember me 

And our happier years


When I’m not there to walk with you

On your wedding day

Remember this walk and know

I am not far away


I will be as close to you

As the thoughts in your mind

As the photographs of me 

That you've taken over time 


And walk then with me

At the close of day

Know that I am a part of you 

And I am not far away


© Ruby Neumann



Written October 28, 2020


Poet's Note: There is a father whose days are numbered.   As much as he wants to keep hope alive,  his face shows the cancerous predator within him.  How can he prepare his daughter for life without him?  Maybe he takes her on walks and leaves with her a memory of their steps together.  Maybe he thinks of the day he won't be able to walk with her when she wants him, the most, by her side… on her wedding day.  What does he tell her, today?  Maybe they walk in silence.  


I remember my last walks with my Dad.  Cancer took him fourteen months before my wedding.  Today it is twelve years and nine months since he passed away.   I remember him in this poem, but not only him… there is another daughter who is taking her last walks with her Dad.  I am thinking of her.