Blind No Longer


I was blind

Once

I could only hear the story

Seeing it not possible

I listened to the story over and over

But without sight the story was limited

And yet I listened to it

Over and over again

Even though I could not see


And then

Forty years later

I could see the story 

And hear it

The story became full

Seeing and hearing

It makes sense now

I understand the story

I am blind no longer

© Ruby Neumann


(images from "Robin Hood" Disney movie) 


Poet's Note: Written August 17, 2020

Robin Hood… The animated Disney version of the movie is the inspiration for this poem.  When I was a child, my mom had some records that contained the audio of various Disney movies.  All I had was the records, I didn't see any movies, so I didn't know they existed.  One of those records was Robin Hood.  Robin Hood is a Fox, Little John is a Bear, Alan a Dale is a Rooster…  the whole cast is animals.  

There were pictures in the record album, so I could see drawings of the cast of characters… but the story was hard to follow.  I listened to them "over and over again".  I had the songs memorized and the dialogue imbedded in my memory.  

Forty some years pass by and I saw the movie for the first time, just a few months ago.  Then I saw it again today.  I sang along to the songs that were familiar to me, bringing me back to my childhood.  I remembered the dialogue, but now it made sense to me.  The words fit, now that they were reunited with the active figures on the screen.  What a huge difference.  The story became alive.  

I wanted to write something that captured the emotion of the discovery… and I defaulted to my best emotional communication device… Poetry.  

It ignited something in me regarding my life journey.  As a child, everything was so limited.  I didn't understand much, because of my "blindness".  But now that I am forty years farther down the road, there is so much more clarity, because I can see things I didn't before.  I am able to piece the audio only version of my life together with a much more complete moving picture.  How precious is that… and all inspired and revealed… through Robin Hood.