Without the Willows

It was in that place
Where the pussy willows bloom
On a country road 
Where I found room

To grieve and to cry
Because you were taken from me
It was a place of peace
Born out of tragedy

Trees in a ditch
Are the gravestone I found
For some unknown reason
There isn’t another around 

But my last drive through
Found those trees cut down
Cleared without mercy
Now your gravestone is gone

Without the willows 
It’s not the same somehow 
So where do I go
To remember you now

© Ruby Neumann 

Poet's Note: 
This poem was written after my last visit to that country road that inspired the poem "Where the Pussy Willows Hide"   After seeing that the county had mowed down all the willow trees in the ditch, I wept.   All that remains of those willows is the pictures I took and now I have no desire to go back.