Persephone

There’s an old ’79 Ford LTD
That retired years ago
Her home a Saskatchewan prairie farm
Midst other motors that have gotten old

She doesn’t look like much anymore
Her driving days are done
Maybe forgotten by many
But redeemed by only one

He gave her to a young friend
When she was still alive
Said “ Take her out and enjoy her 
Bring her back when her days are nigh”

She was given the name “Persephone”
For the Greek Goddess of the Underworld
She was black, had no air and was a beast
But was the first car, this friend ever owned 

The car then died and was brought back to rest
On the farm of the one who redeemed her
And there she rests with others redeemed
All because of a compassionate farmer 

It was October 2018
When the friend came back to see
This ol’ girl now retired on the Saskatchewan farm
The LTD she called “Persephone”

It was the farmer that she came back for
To say a hearty good-bye and thank you
For he was going where God’s redeemed go
Because his days on Earth were through

That ol’ car is a reminder 
That when this life has cashed me in
That there is a Redeemer waiting
To take me home again

© Ruby Neumann

Poet's Note:

Written October 3, 2018. This '79 Ford LTD has a special place in my heart.  It was my first car.  My second vehicle, but my first car.  I got it for one dollar and the stipulation was... "Drive it till it dies and then bring it back to me."  So I did... and it died and it now rests back on the same yard I drove if off of the day it was given it to me by "the compassionate farmer".  I took this picture and wrote this poem the day before his funeral.  

Thank you Armindo!