Growing up in Heaven


My story started on the Earth
With my mother and my dad
Two lovers came together
To create the life I had
It took me several months to grow
Life unfolded within my Mom
And then the day came when I emerged
My time inside was done
Did I catch my first breath on the Earth
Did I see my mother's face
These are questions I can't answer
Because I awoke in a different place.
Why Earth is not my home now
Is a question I didn't ask
I've been growing up in Heaven
In the home that is my last
My family is abundant here
And there are beautiful places to dwell
This is the best kept secret
That only God will tell
I have family on Earth
And they want me there with them
Their happiness would have remained
Had I not come to Heaven
The only answer I can give
Is what I hope my family will know
I was created into a broken world
That still waits to be made whole
If I could give my family anything now
To help them persevere
Joy is what I would leave them
For I have it in abundance here
There’s hope for the ones I left behind
Earth's not the final destination
My home will soon be theirs some day
And I wait with great anticipation

© Ruby Neumann

(image taken from "The Shack" movie) 

Poet's note: 

I wrote this October 17, 2018 after seeing a picture of a baby in my extended family that is "Growing up in Heaven".  I would really like to believe that God's Paradise is full of children hanging out with Jesus in beautiful flower-covered meadows. 

 Some children learn stories about Jesus, sitting on Grandma's lap.  But imagine the children that are "Growing up in Heaven" and it is those children that are get to sit on Jesus' lap and hear the stories first hand.