Attitude

My day was shot when I woke up this morning
The boss called me in without a warning
My car wouldn’t start and I missed the bus
And all I could do was holler and cuss
As I walked into work, I found out today
The computers were down so I wouldn’t get paid
There’s a new guy at work that I have to train
But he can’t do a thing, and so I complain
I grab a buddy and we go for lunch
But all I do is pout while I munch
By two o’clock I’ve lost every friend
And everyone’s hoping the day will end
By five o’clock everyone’s gone
And I’m left wondering just what went wrong
Then I see a poster with an interesting fact

“It’s not what you’re given, it’s how you react.
The world around you can come crashing down
But you can face it with a smile instead of a frown
You can’t change the world when you’re in a bad mood
All you can change is your attitude”

© Ruby Neumann


Poet's Note: Today I am sharing a piece I wrote over twenty years ago. I was perusing my archives today and found it and felt the message worth some megabytes on the internet.  I think I wrote this during my dairy farming days It's fictional story but the message is true.  I highlighted the last part in red, because I can imagine Jesus saying this to me when I get cranky.