The Story Teller

The evening of the day had come
The crowds were all but gone
There was no one left but Jesus
To enjoy creation’s song

The water on the lake had stilled
The birds were resting there
A smell, a sweet aroma
Had come to fill the air

He thought of how the day had been
And the stories he had shared
A heart cry to his Father came
“Abba, when do they start to care

When will their hearts be opened
To the truth You long to show
Will they see beyond the mysteries
One day, will they know

I long for them to understand
To ask me to explain
But most are stubborn, uninterested
Most just walk away

There’s more their blinded hearts can’t see
Yet they struggle not to learn
I’m here to introduce the truth
It’s me, the Living Word

Abba, not all are like that
I’m thankful for the few
That press in to know me
That want to know You too

It’s the crowds that hear the stories
But it’s the few that stayed behind
They will share with me, my wisdom
And will understand it all in time

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note: Written June 25, 2008 during Adult Camp at Hastings Lake Bible Camp.  Dan Berg was sharing in the service that night and asked me if I would recite the poem I wrote for my Dad “Crossing Jordan”.  I didn’t want to recite the poem.  It was only six months since Dad had passed away and I didn't feel like walking through the sadness again that night.  I asked him that if I could write another poem before the service if I could recite that one instead.  He agreed and I went to the lakeside with paper and pen and this poem is what came out.  I remember a woman there that was amazed that I could come up with something so fast.  Little did she know just how much I sweated to get some inspiration.  I asked my Chief Source of Inspiration for help and Holy Spirit came through for me.

The picture is taken in the very spot at the camp where I composed this poem