Hiding Hope

Two years
Two months
Two days have passed
And I find myself back here
I told myself I would not return
And yet again I ventured near

There is still a peace that dwells on this road
There is still a hope that hides
There is a reminder of God’s grace
And His love that still abides

I want so much to park here
On the side of this muddy drive
Yet I know I must journey on
For it’s the journey that keeps me alive

Today I was looking for purpose
Another reason for another day
Will I relinquish it here in the setting sun
Or will it come when I drive away

Oh, most painful memory
Does this have to be the end
Or will the hope that is still hiding 
Be soon around the bend

I shall take a leap of faith
Start the motor and engage the gear
Oh Hiding Hope, I’m coming
Wind in me, please help me steer

© Ruby Neumann



Poet's Note: 

In the movie "The Shack" Mac asks Papa why he was brought back to the place of his worst pain to meet God.   She said... "Cause this is where you got stuck." 

Maybe that is why I am drawn back to "that most painful road".  Today just happened to be two years, two months and two days.  Ironic how something like a seemingly insignificant statistic could pop in my head the moment I am back in that place.  As painful as that place is, it still inspires me.  

This poem sounds dark, so I made the picture dark, but it was actually a beautiful day today.  The poem may sound like it is written from a place of hopelessness, but that is not really true.  I may be struggling to find my purpose, but Hope... Hope is not lost, it is only hiding.  Maybe just beyond my vision, but not beyond my grasp.   

This is the third in the series of poems inspired by that place.  



Who knows what else is hiding that awaits to be revealed.