My Grandmothers

 In life I had two grandmothers
As precious a gift one could get
Grandma, I can’t remember 
Oma, I’ll never forget.  

Grandma died when I was young
Oma died when she was old
Grandma lived far away from me
Oma was the one who lived close

Though I can’t remember my Grandma 
She lives on in her daughter, my mom  
I have only to look at my mother
To see what Grandma would have done

Oma was never closer 
Than she was to my dad, her son
She treasured him and he cared for her
Until her life on earth was done

Not only the women who gave birth to my folks
But the women who taught them to live
And those life lessons my parents passed on to me
Are because my grandmothers took time to give

I wonder what these two women
Are doing now that they are at home
Are they sharing stories of the good ol’ days
Are they watching over their own

If I could pass along one message 
To the women I wish I could see 
Thank you! Grandma and Oma
For who you became to me

© Ruby Neumann


Poet's note: Written by Ruby Neumann, December 30, 2018.  The 12th anniversary of Oma’s passing. Grandma died when I was 7.  Oma died when I was 38.